Bangkok to Bagan 2004

Thursday, November 25, 2004

Mae Sot

I survived the border run (and I didn't even get a lousy t-shirt)! With that said, I am currently in Mae Sot, a Burmese-Chinese-Karen-Thai trading outpost on the border between Myanmar and Thailand.

Umm... I am actually spluring and staying in an "up-scale" guesthouse. Yeah, all 250 baht worth, baby! This may not be the Ritz (cough cough), but I am sleeping on a real bed tonight! I am stoked!!!

I am kinda embarrassed, but I actually gave you guys the wrong information about my guesthouse yesterday. I actually stayed at the Northwest Guesthouse, but I thought I was staying at Riverside. That's the life of a backpacker though. You are so tired from bouncing from one guesthouse to another that you often forget where you are. Sometimes, I even wake up and not realise where I am at the moment ("Vietnam? Burma? Thailand?")

I have made some initial contacts with some of the volunteer organisations here in the area and will be calling them to set up meetings once I finish this blog. Wish me luck guys.

In the meantime, here's contact info for my guesthouse.

Ban Thai Guest House
Room No. 5
Tel : 0 5553 1590
740 Th Intharakhiri
Mae Sot

Tomorrow, I plan to meet with some volunteer orgs and hopefully make a border run across to Burma.

Btw, I just finished "Crime and Punishment". I quite liked it. Of course, my taste tends to differ from the general public (as those who know of my opinion regarding "The Da Vinci Code" will testify).

Angel








10 Comments:

  • The Da Vinci Code ?

    Don't get me started !

    It was even lazier than Steven King's efforts of the last 5 years (and damn they have been lazy, Dreamcatcher was just It + Tommynockers and some Independence Day).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 25, 2004 at 7:29 PM  

  • ... and good luck.

    CO

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 25, 2004 at 7:32 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Michael Foley, at November 29, 2004 at 12:00 AM  

  • Hey now- don't knock the Dark Tower series. Angel does that enough already :P

    -Mike

    By Blogger Michael Foley, at November 29, 2004 at 12:01 AM  

  • ... because it is a crappy series.

    :P

    - Angel

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 29, 2004 at 7:00 AM  

  • He is just not trying anymore, then again he lost me with The Stand ... that was corn & cheese overload.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at November 29, 2004 at 7:32 PM  

  • You haven't even read them, Angel! I will let you borrow my books some day, so you can realize how great they are.

    I think his horror novels are overrated. His western/fantasy stuff (Dark Tower, Eyes of the Dragon) is WAY better than his horror, and I'd also say that his short stories (Four Seasons, Green Mile, etc.) are also better.

    The Stand is also one of his best books, although I will grant you that it gets too cheesy at times (but what SK book doesn't?).

    -Mike

    By Blogger Michael Foley, at November 30, 2004 at 6:41 PM  

  • He was at his best when he wrote as R. Bachmann and in the 80s in general. The original Running Man was great as was IT.

    The Stand became very cheesy !

    CO

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 5, 2004 at 6:57 PM  

  • I can't deny that the "Hand of God" thing was horrible, and that almost everything involving Mother Abigail was cheesy. But it was still a great book.

    I haven't read any of his Bachman stuff. I guess I should start (after I finish the DT series, that is!).

    -Mike

    By Blogger Michael Foley, at December 6, 2004 at 9:15 AM  

  • Uhh that Mother Abigail stuff still makes me cringe, I thought I had purged that from my mind ... thanks for the reminder !

    The Bachmann stuff is cool. Forget the horrid, terrible, Hollywood version of Running Man, and start again. It is not that long, but it is a great, fast paced, dystopian thriller.

    That aside, have you ever tried the "Rats" trilogy by James Herbert ? I suppose they are somewhat dated now, but I still like the story.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at December 6, 2004 at 5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home